Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    But then again, giving them specific access would probably mean extra work for the admins so giving them vip would probably be easier :v)

Post Thanks / Like
    why dont u yourself go and donate to these mappers then?

speak with your own wallet before telling others how to do it

3. Thanks Ocean, Sony thanked for this post
    Likes Ocean, Olivia, Sony liked this post
    KSF Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THERAPIST View Post
    why dont u yourself go and donate to these mappers then?

speak with your own wallet before telling others how to do it
    KSF doesn't directly lose any money by giving free VIP away. Most mappers are cheap fucks who wouldn't buy VIP anyway. It'd just a way to show appreciation for the people who keep the servers alive by creating new content. I 100% think expert/vet server access should be given to anyone who has a map on KSF. Sangre has had this for several years, not sure why no other mappers have gotten it. Maybe a few months of VIP for mappers who put out maps that get a significant amount of playtime and are enjoyed by a lot of the community.

5. Thanks Beetle179, Ocean, RedVenom thanked for this post
    Likes Maltsns, Beetle179, TooM3R, Ocean liked this post
    Dislikes Beetle179 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapo View Post
    KSF doesn't directly lose any money by giving free VIP away. Most mappers are cheap fucks who wouldn't buy VIP anyway. It'd just a way to show appreciation for the people who keep the servers alive by creating new content. I 100% think expert/vet server access should be given to anyone who has a map on KSF. Sangre has had this for several years, not sure why no other mappers have gotten it. Maybe a few months of VIP for mappers who put out maps that get a significant amount of playtime and are enjoyed by a lot of the community.
    I just wanted to say that as well. Sangre has had access to the expert (and veteran?) for years now, could be done for others as well. About the VIP... I don't know. Some are worth it, most aren't. How to draw the line?

7. Thanks Ocean thanked for this post
    Likes Ocean, maggi, RedVenom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred View Post
    Some are worth it, most aren't. How to draw the line?
    I think this is the biggest problem. Most recent maps are barely even good enough to make it onto the server, let alone get VIP.

9. Thanks Ocean thanked for this post
    Likes Ocean liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess there could be a general guideline to what makes a map good:
    - Innovative theme e.g. tempest, omnific
    - Really well made flow e.g. 666, overgrowth2
    - Innovative route/surf
    - Innovative and fun bonuses
    - Attention to detail
    - Environmental design
    - Choice of textures
    - Visual design (Thought of lighting e.g. salient2, didn't know what else to call it)
    - Stage transitions working towards smooth oneshots
    - Broad playability: A good t2 should have the same reputation as a good t5 in my opinion since it provides more content for everybody on ksf, not just rank 1k+ players who are able to beat it. Same goes for t5's with good bonuses so beginners etc. can spend their time there instead of trying and failing s1 for 10 minutes and then wait for nextmap.

There are probably a lot more, these are just pointers that already make out a really good map. Another way to determine could be how long they stay in the map cycle, well made maps will always come back up and get nominated.

You could also introduce a rating system in the mapping section (let's say 1-5 stars, 4+ stars is well made and gets rewarded), but I don't know how to implement that.
    Last edited by Sam; 06-18-2017 at 10:22 AM.

11. Likes Ocean, MaKo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Retarded View Post
    - Innovative route/surf
    - Attention to detail
    - Environmental design
    - Choice of textures
    - Visual design (Thought of lighting e.g. salient2, didn't know what else to call it)
    - Broad playability: A good t2 should have the same reputation as a good t5 in my opinion since it provides more content for everybody on ksf, not just rank 1k+ players who are able to beat it. Same goes for t5's with good bonuses so beginners etc. can spend their time there instead of trying and failing s1 for 10 minutes and then wait for nextmap.

There are probably a lot more, these are just pointers that already make out a really good map. Another way to determine could be how long they stay in the map cycle, well made maps will always come back up and get nominated.

You could also introduce a rating system in the mapping section (let's say 1-5 stars, 4+ stars is well made and gets rewarded), but I don't know how to implement that.
    TBH I think this is a bit overkill. Besides, rating a map is really subjective. Someone who can't finish a map could give a poor rating out of spite. Also, some surfers may prefer maps like surf_stick whereas others would never even bother going for completion. As not_a_zombie and Juxtapo were saying, a simple week long (or so) access to vet/expert should suffice.

13. Likes TooM3R, Ocean, Sam liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO anyone that puts in all the effort that it takes to make a map that is good enough to be added to servers and therefore contributing something to the community should get access to exp/veteran server. Don't really care about VIP especially.. access to all servers should be a given when their map is added. (at least 2-3 months access if u wanna be picky)

15. Thanks Ocean thanked for this post
    Likes Ocean, Sam liked this post
    Casual
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Retarded View Post
    - Innovative route/surf
    - Attention to detail
    - Environmental design
    - Choice of textures

I agree with what this murloc guy said, its almost entirely subjective.
    (prly shouldve quoted his post)

17. Thanks Ocean thanked for this post
    Likes Ocean liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "this murloc guy" cmon, don't do my man murglegurgle, creator of surf_driftless like this D:

I agree on it being subjective, I guess maps staying in rotation for a long time shows that people like it better than these pointers

Thread Information