Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THERAPIST View Post
    It's irrelevant for end zones, you would just enter them late and get a worse time.
    What I said was based off of tests done on a local server where I just held w from one zone to another, I had never left a zone outside of the +/-1-2 tick difference, but the time difference was always within 4 ticks (with 4 being the max), so there is some interaction with end zones that allow you to enter it 'early'.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaudgin View Post
    What I said was based off of tests done on a local server where I just held w from one zone to another, I had never left a zone outside of the +/-1-2 tick difference, but the time difference was always within 4 ticks (with 4 being the max), so there is some interaction with end zones that allow you to enter it 'early'.
    I don't think this is true, and though I couldn't be sure why you got the results you did, I'm inclined to think it has something to do with your tests being done on a local server and on a different timer/game (CGN/CSGO timer, yes?)

It's not possible for the surftimer/server to think you've entered/exited a zone too early. Logically, it does not pass.

Furthermore, as I've pointed out, on KSF only 1-tick false starts are at all common. 2- or more tick lags are extremely, extremely rare. If you'd like to test this, one easy way is to go to surf_velocity bonus, which has a fall zone as it extends out to the sides of the platform. Jump out and s-drop repeatedly from the platform, without touching crouch (all of this just for a controlled, easily- and quickly- replicated test)... Almost every single time, you will get -436 z velocity out of zone. Occasionally, you will get a -448. However, you will never see anything less (in magnitude) than 436 (unless you accidentally leave the zone horizontally).

This test is convenient because it not only proves that false starts exist, but because of its ease of replication, it can be used to gather some data. I plan on doing some trials of this at some point to try and get a rough frequency of when 1-tick lags happen.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle179 View Post
    I don't think this is true, and though I couldn't be sure why you got the results you did, I'm inclined to think it has something to do with your tests being done on a local server and on a different timer/game (CGN/CSGO timer, yes?)

It's not possible for the surftimer/server to think you've entered/exited a zone too early. Logically, it does not pass.

Furthermore, as I've pointed out, on KSF only 1-tick false starts are at all common. 2- or more tick lags are extremely, extremely rare. If you'd like to test this, one easy way is to go to surf_velocity bonus, which has a fall zone as it extends out to the sides of the platform. Jump out and s-drop repeatedly from the platform, without touching crouch (all of this just for a controlled, easily- and quickly- replicated test)... Almost every single time, you will get -436 z velocity out of zone. Occasionally, you will get a -448. However, you will never see anything less (in magnitude) than 436 (unless you accidentally leave the zone horizontally).

This test is convenient because it not only proves that false starts exist, but because of its ease of replication, it can be used to gather some data. I plan on doing some trials of this at some point to try and get a rough frequency of when 1-tick lags happen.
    I know it doesn't make any logical sense, I just don't see where the other 2 ticks would have come from, also since I did these tests a long time ago I don't remember how frequent the 4 tick difference happened, or if it even happened (just going off of memory). Realistically though you could gain 2 ticks by getting late end zones.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaudgin View Post
    I know it doesn't make any logical sense, I just don't see where the other 2 ticks would have come from, also since I did these tests a long time ago I don't remember how frequent the 4 tick difference happened, or if it even happened (just going off of memory). Realistically though you could gain 2 ticks by getting late end zones.
    You could get false ends too, yes, but they would be detrimental (whereas false starts are beneficial) to your time. Still though, I don't think these 2-tick lags are related, because they're so ridiculously infrequent (and more often, it's not just 2 ticks, it's more than that).

Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if its a detriment, its still unfair and still cant be controlled by the player.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by horsefeathers View Post
    Even if its a detriment, its still unfair and still cant be controlled by the player.
    But nothing to worry about right now. And not easy to detect either.

7. Thanks remkoe thanked for this post
    Likes Beetle179, remkoe liked this post
    Dislikes remkoe disliked this post
    Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    does having your ping shoot up and back down in the middle/end of a stage affect the end time? as long as the start is legitimate. and not the kind of lag where you're warping around of course. i've never been totally sure and i'm willing to ask a potentially extremely noob question to find out

Post Thanks / Like
    Lag in the middle of a run can effect time but it's much more minimal effect than if you lag while leaving the start zone.

If you warp in the demo/sourcetv then the time is not legit though.

10. Thanks Sony thanked for this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    we showed a while ago (back in february I think) that having one ping when you leave the startzone, and a significantly (at least 10-15 or more) different ping when you enter the endzone, can mess up your time, by quite a bit. But that was a whole different issue, unrelated to this one. I could make a little writeup on it -- I know flaudgin did some testing with it on CGN, but couldn't consistently replicate exact numbers -- so we thought it was a random/unpredictable effect on your time. But after hearing some of the experiences we've had with this issue, I'm thinking that this other issue could actually be solvable. But bottom line, different issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    remove all interpolation
    only feed the client what the server sees

input lag? yes
    problem? no

13. Thanks Sony thanked for this post

Thread Information