Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks sick

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    overall not bad for a first map, there is a lot of interesting surf in the map and parts seems to flow well. But, there are other parts that are awful, like the spin near the start: the entrance is too small and awkward. Also theres a fair bit of blind jumps which are hard to judge. It would be a nice smooth map if there weren't some jerky awkward parts in it.

The details are not good. At all. The textures you used were really bad generally. Try to avoid textures that have bad tilling, and try to keep textures themed together so that they look like real materials instead of pictures overlaid on walls. The lighting is bad as well, try to keep the light coming from visible light sources and always avoid hot-spots or light blooms. A nice easy way to create nice lighting is to have a light_environment with high ambient light and lots of windows. Increase the lightmap scale to get sharp shadows too.
    Last edited by horsefeathers; 06-28-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by horsefeathers View Post
    overall not bad for a first map, there is a lot of interesting surf in the map and parts seems to flow well. But, there are other parts that are awful, like the spin near the start: the entrance is too small and awkward. Also theres a fair bit of blind jumps which are hard to judge. It would be a nice smooth map if there weren't some jerky awkward parts in it.

The details are not good. At all. The textures you used were really bad generally. Try to avoid textures that have bad tilling, and try to keep textures themed together so that they look like real materials instead of pictures overlaid on walls. The lighting is bad as well, try to keep the light coming from visible light sources and always avoid hot-spots or light blooms. A nice easy way to create nice lighting is to have a light_environment with high ambient light and lots of windows. Increase the lightmap scale to get sharp shadows too.
    ROOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i thought textures were okay judging from the video. You should probably change that song though, i dunno what kind of cult you're in but you should get out

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by horsefeathers View Post

Thanks a lot for the feedback/tips.
    Yeah I was really lazy on the detailing/lighting, and should have made people play test it first. I'll take all this into consideration for next time.^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mooster Cow View Post
    ROOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i thought textures were okay judging from the video. You should probably change that song though, i dunno what kind of cult you're in but you should get out
    I don't like the music much either, didn't know there was so much good stuff with creative commons on soundcloud :/

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not like you can't change the annoying parts anymore

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred View Post
    It's not like you can't change the annoying parts anymore
    yeah that's a really good point, I'll just be a few moments..........
    while I'm at it what are the other awful parts of the surf?
    Last edited by Tech; 06-29-2016 at 03:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The water slide looks kind of awkward with that really tiny ramp behind it, also the part right before that, basically upwards boost and what's after. I'm just judging from the video tho, I didn't surf it yet. Maybe others can tell better.

Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    The annoying parts for me (timestamps from the video):
    0:50 -- the spin there is awkward to enter right, two suggestions: move the spiral down farther so you have more time to adjust, and make it bigger reducing the randomness.
    1:38 - 1:43 -- the boost, the poles, water jump, and the small ramp after. Remove the random poles because they are annoying af, plus you can just skip them by going to the side so they are not useful. the water jump is random, so I would replace it with a flat bhop or better yet remove it. The tiny ramp after is probably fine because you cant slip off but I just try to avoid them. In general, i try to avoid boosts and bhops because they can be random. What I would do with the whole section is to remove the poles and the water jump and move the next ramp closer so you can go directly to it.

Those are really the only annoying part for me, there are some really smooth parts in the map so these can be overlooked honestly. Also these are just my suggestions so you dont have to accept it.

Thread Information