Close

Post Thanks / Like

Need constructive criticism for my first surf map

Here's a link to a video of the map

I also have a few questions. As I'm new to hammer and map making in general I wonder if I have to place start and end zones for surftimer myself? How can I make surfers take no damage when landing on the spine of a ramp? What airaccelerate and accelerate are ksf servers using? I used 100 and 10 in the video. Or does surfplugin take care of those thing? It's really hard to start making surf maps when there aren't really in depth guides. I used Juxtapos Basic Surf Mapping Tutorial to get to this point. Would love to hear what you think and how could I improve my map :)

Post Thanks / Like
    thats not bad for a first map my only complaint is that alot of the ramps seem to be unnecessarily small, ive never been an aesthetics guy but im sure alot of people will think your texture theme sucks

Post Thanks / Like
    The map needs more surf I think. Now days people are making much longer staged maps so if you took these ideas and elaborated you could come up with something really cool!
    As Deadeye mentioned, the textures are a bit bland but that can be worked on after you finished the map. All in all, its a pretty good first attempt, keep working at it bro!

EDIT: Also the KSF Servers use 150 Air accelerate and 10 accelerate I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by .:Deadeye:. View Post
    thats not bad for a first map my only complaint is that alot of the ramps seem to be unnecessarily small, ive never been an aesthetics guy but im sure alot of people will think your texture theme sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by stratex5 View Post
    The map needs more surf I think. Now days people are making much longer staged maps so if you took these ideas and elaborated you could come up with something really cool!
    As Deadeye mentioned, the textures are a bit bland but that can be worked on after you finished the map. All in all, its a pretty good first attempt, keep working at it bro!

EDIT: Also the KSF Servers use 150 Air accelerate and 10 accelerate I believe.
    Thanks for the reply! Yep I too thought the choice of textures was not the best. After the first 3 stages I chose that I'd leave textures aside and focus on the gameplay first. I'm having really hard time texturing and lighting a map if you couldn't tell :p I'll try to make more stages this week

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see the ending of the last stage more difficult compared to right now, something like a smaller platform higher in the back middle that you need to land on.. Cause right now seems it too easy to have a huge momentum build up and landing on a platform that low. Oh and 0:36 is too easy maybe you can make it a little harder by having a small mesh like structure or 2 layers of the current at opposite patterns.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are still working on this, you could make the teleport triggers on s1 and s3 cover the entire platform, and make them a bit taller so you don't have to worry about landing it right when trying to oneshot the map

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a way to download your map I like it and would love to try it out

Thread Information