Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

Stats My standalone bhop/surf game

So my intention isn't to be a perfect 1:1 port of Source Engine movement, but I want it to be familiar and feel right. I believe CS:S will always be the best game for professional speedrunning in bhop & surf, no sense in trying to compete. Also much respect to Momentum Mod, which will be great for those looking to improve their speedrunning experience.

I've been developing this bhop/surf game for a very long time, it's finally integrated with Steam and playable right now. The store page is unpublished, and I probably won't look into publishing until around the end of 2019. After I do some stability/performance testing I want to hand out a few keys, let me know if you want one.

https://youtu.be/oYaX1QqqGm8

Some features include surf and bhop mechanics. RNG removed from slants and triggers. Everything that has to do with movement is predicted, so no bhop, teleport, or boost lag. BSP loading with support for entity inputs/outputs and most entities commonly used in bhop/surf maps, this includes support for example some bhop maps where you have to shoot boosters to activate them, addoutput gravity/basevelocity, etc.

I am working on an experimental feature where I exclude a bsp's lightmaps and replace all of the map's lighting with runtime lights. Some more "modernization" ideas include dynamic weather, moving clouds in the sky (cow's idea), and day/night cycles.

I don't want to be stuck on source engine content forever, so I am also developing shit to create maps with modern tools. Some advanced features might even include Lua scripting, a powerful replacement for archaic entity logic.

This project started out as a combat surf game, it isn't limited to speedrunning. Combat surf might be developed further with matchmaking and whatnot, and I've got some ideas other gamemodes as well for a more casual, fun experience. Dedicated servers will eventually be released with support for plugin systems (Javascript and Python, might include C# and Lua later on) so server owners can modify gameplay.

Let me know what you guys think

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks interesting! I'd be interested in a key to check it out when you have one available.

Regular Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowlech View Post
    Looks interesting! I'd be interested in a key to check it out when you have one available.
    Cool, I'll save a key for you

4. Likes Nowlech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested in trying it out, curious how it feels compared to other games.

Regular Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Draph View Post
    I'd be interested in trying it out, curious how it feels compared to other games.
    Sure thing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I only really surf on CSGO, so i'm not too familiar with CSS movement; but I would love to see how it compares with CSGO if you have any spare keys when the time comes.
    Sounds like an awesome idea though and I can't wait to see it released.

Regular Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttons View Post
    I only really surf on CSGO, so i'm not too familiar with CSS movement; but I would love to see how it compares with CSGO if you have any spare keys when the time comes.
    Sounds like an awesome idea though and I can't wait to see it released.
    Of course! My gunplay is inspired by CS:GO, so if you play matchmaking or anything you might notice some similarity there.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow very cool crayz hehe

10. Thanks Crayz thanked for this post
    Regular Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for all the testing so far cow.

I'm a smoothness & input enthusiast (we all are, probably), had some bug causing micro-stutters when spectating players and bots, obviously not good in a game about smooth movement. Shit drove me insane, but I think it's fixed and I can move on with some QoL features I've been wanting to implement before handing out keys. Should be soon
    Last edited by Crayz; 03-24-2019 at 09:47 PM.

12. Thanks Mooster Cow thanked for this post
    Likes Mooster Cow liked this post
    Regular Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    PM'd you guys keys. Post feedback here if you have any. Any issues or anything let me know and I'll get it fixed

edit: also need ideas for what to name this game :^)
    Last edited by Crayz; 03-28-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Thread Information