PDA

View Full Version : Diagonal Start Zones

Goldace
01-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Was wondering how to zone diamond-shaped start zones like the start zones of surf_Olympics, are they just a large square that trigger when you leave in the y-direction? Thanks in advance

Crayz
01-16-2017, 07:12 PM
I haven't really asked or read on it but I don't think KSF timer is capable of creating polygon zones or OBB (oriented bounding boxes), only AABB (axis-aligned). However it can take a trigger placed in the map by the mapper and consider that a zone, and of course triggers can be any polygon shape.

I would assume all old maps have box zones placed on start areas such as Olympics because either KSF wasn't around at the time the map was made or the mappers weren't aware that they could place triggers to be used as zones.

History lesson, this was the cause for an exploit on surf_exile stage 4 where a box shaped zone was placed on a non box-shaped area and players could, mid surf, touch the stage's start zone and cheat the wrcp

Frag1337
01-17-2017, 11:24 AM
The timer itself can only create "brush triggers" in form of a square/simply point A and point B.
If the mapper hasn't setup something, its always gonna be a square.

You probably can imagine how many timer triggers were created for surf_overgrowth2 ending.
(16+)

Also: Few surf maps which include _ksf or some other _name, which are mostly the same map, just with added triggers for specific platforms like 45° or cylinder like.