PDA

View Full Version : Hello world!

Enhex
04-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Hi there!

I'm Enhex and I'm not the best when it comes to surfing.
Though I'm OK when it comes to programming and I decided to make a surf game.

I joined KSF hoping I could get some feedback and help here!

rool
04-28-2015, 08:40 PM
hey, good luck!

evolv
04-29-2015, 07:40 AM
A stand-alone surf mod will be difficult to make.

Enhex
04-29-2015, 11:31 AM
A stand-alone surf mod will be difficult to make.

The core is already complete. Now the main focus is content (maps), features, and optimization.

I uploaded a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVDeuqd59Ec

horsefeathers
04-29-2015, 02:09 PM
looks cool, is there a build you upload for testing? Did you build the engine yourself or are you using and existing engine? How did you build the maps?

mbsurfer
04-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Unity maybe?

Enhex
04-29-2015, 05:24 PM
looks cool, is there a build you upload for testing? Did you build the engine yourself or are you using and existing engine? How did you build the maps?

Unity maybe?

Not Unity, I'm using an engine called Urho3D (http://urho3d.github.io/).
It's open source, written in C++, and has Lua & AngleScript scirpting langs support.

I also made a level editor which is similar to Hammer. It's still very basic but in usable state.
It's designed to be generic - can be integrated to work with any game engine and game.
http://i.imgur.com/MisQ0cG.jpg

I do have a build uploaded to DropBox for testing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f4pvzgoovjv8x0/Surf%20HEAD.zip?dl=0
I update it every once in a while, the link stays the same.

stratex5
04-30-2015, 12:05 AM
Why not make it in source engine using the same mechanics that css and csgo uses?

swagman1999
04-30-2015, 04:33 AM
Why not make it in source engine using the same mechanics that css and csgo uses?

can't make dat $$ with source engine

Enhex
04-30-2015, 06:27 AM

3 Reasons:
1. I heard Source Engine is a mess.
2. I don't think Valve is going to license it to me. And I don't know what deal they'll offer (25%?).
3. I want to learn an engine that I'll use for the long run. Urho3D is open source, C++, Lua, and doesn't get in the way of including libraries (C++ has some very powerful libraries).

Maltsns
04-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Played the test build a bit and its pretty awesome how everything works so far. The feel is a bit off but I'm guessing that will be adjusted / you arent trying to make a css clone. You probably started this before unreal 4 engine was publicly released/already too far in, but if not, why not use that? imo this could massively succeed if you get the feel right and utilize the unreal engine(so levels can be more interesting than ramps inside cubes that sometimes have clipping like in css). Its OS and you only have to give 5% of profits.
Can't really imagine how much of a hassle it would be to get surf working right on any engine though. looking forward to see where this goes.

Enhex
04-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Played the test build a bit and its pretty awesome how everything works so far. The feel is a bit off but I'm guessing that will be adjusted / you arent trying to make a css clone. You probably started this before unreal 4 engine was publicly released/already too far in, but if not, why not use that? imo this could massively succeed if you get the feel right and utilize the unreal engine(so levels can be more interesting than ramps inside cubes that sometimes have clipping like in css). Its OS and you only have to give 5% of profits.
Can't really imagine how much of a hassle it would be to get surf working right on any engine though. looking forward to see where this goes.

Yeah I started before Unreal Engine 4 was out. Right now there's no real advantage to switching to it other than shinier graphics.

It feels off (i.e. not exactly the same as CS) because of few things:
1. I set the air speed (not accel!) to be about double what CS has. As far as I know you can't even change it in Source games unless they use the most recent Source version (CSS had it hardcoded). In earlier builds I had switchable speed and players said they enjoyed the faster ones the most.
2. I made a rigid body character controller instead of a kinematic one.

I don't want to re-create the exact same experience, I want to make it a little different, and improve it.
I want it to be more race'ish. I want the player to spend more time enjoying perfecting his runs and less time getting frustrated doing trail and error.

Prostagma
04-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Looks very interesting, maybe u could get a surf mapper to make some basic maps for u. Anyway good luck with the project! <3

horsefeathers
04-30-2015, 07:16 PM
I think the main advantage to using UE4 is that it comes with a robust editor.

Some quibbles: I think the fov is set too high or something because its hard to gauge when I will hit the ramp when surfing. Also the mouse input was laggy, which made it hard to control.

Enhex
05-01-2015, 10:11 AM
I think the main advantage to using UE4 is that it comes with a robust editor.

Some quibbles: I think the fov is set too high or something because its hard to gauge when I will hit the ramp when surfing. Also the mouse input was laggy, which made it hard to control.

I fixed these problems yesterday, same link. I added a video settings menu with FOV slider.
The input lag is really important, if you could tell me if that problem is gone for you I'll be grateful.

Regarding UE4, it is a really bad editor for brush-like work according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgx0LzdsZww
I haven't really tried it, because I never could figure it out intuitively when trying editors for UE games.

Prostagma
05-02-2015, 12:45 PM
It crashes for me on startup. surf.exe has stopped working.

Enhex
05-02-2015, 06:49 PM
It crashes for me on startup. surf.exe has stopped working.

You can try to re-download it, I uploaded a newer version. If it keeps happening I'll need more information to troubleshoot.