PDA

View Full Version : surf_slow_motion

Masog
09-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Hello, I started making this map about 2 years ago, and I called it surf_slow_motion.
I made a quick video to show you what I have for now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64JeLGIH7qg&feature=youtu.be
It doesn't have lights yet, so it looks ugly, sorry. I just want to know what do you think about the "slow motion" thing and about the map overall. In the beginning it had to be a map with stages, but I deicided to make it linear and make it harder in some parts, and I am still working on it. The end of the "blue part" still needs much work, then I have to connect the other stages to the current map and modify them a bit. Oh, and I still have like 2-3 different colors of the ramps textures so I'll propably add another parts after the current ones.
(In the video I didn't show the yellow stage because it is still not "calculated" and isn't working as it should).
Sorry for any mistakes, English isn't my native language.
Masog.

Mooster Cow
09-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Rofl what is this...

remkoe
09-03-2014, 02:44 PM
10/10 add it now

Cthulu
09-03-2014, 08:15 PM
I lol'd

joseph
09-04-2014, 12:34 AM
u should apply as editor for nightmaresurf

Masog
09-04-2014, 12:56 AM
lmao, don't laugh at my video, I just wanted to make a quick video to show u what I've got and spent literally 5 minutes recording / editing this. Just let me know what you think about the map and especially about the slow motion zones :D

Sacred
09-04-2014, 02:19 AM
I think you guys did not understand that the slow motion stuff apparently is not in the vid but in the map, kinda like on surf_the_distance before you get shot onto the bhop.

Krazy
09-04-2014, 02:45 AM
I'll say, that does look really fun. I'm not completely sure how I feel about the slow motion thing, it will be distracting and unnecessarily added on to, what could be, normal surf, but on the other hand, it will be fun to remember where the slow motion starts, and where you regain the speed.

It's not a bad idea, but it needs to be executed well. An example of poor execution would be before an obstacle that requires a lot of fast reaction and focus, as those with high pings will have to guess where the obstacles are before their games catch up to them. A good example would be during a final jump, as it would raise tension and result in a more climatic finale. There are plenty of other examples of good and bad ways, but from that video, it all looks well-done.

Also, the texturing looks amazing in my opinion.

Masog
09-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Exactly what Sacred said. Maybe I shoulda explained it.
@Krazy, I am going to add slow-motion zones while you are in the air just flying, I don't think I'll add it into the strafe parts, not much at least. Thanks for your feedback
This map still needs much work, I will try to keep you up with the updates, I don't have much time for mapping tho, school is time consuming.

Skyline
09-05-2014, 03:24 AM
surf_lt_omnific2!

Masog
09-05-2014, 08:17 AM
True, I am using nyro's textures and I love them :D

Felix~
09-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Looks like a cool concept for a map, however you should put more thought into where the slow-motion zones are placed.
I'd also suggest making it more obvious where they are too, have some sort of visual indication of the zone where the slow-motion starts and ends so they can anticipate when they lose/regain their speed. Func_dustmotes or a particle system or something, idk.

Masog
09-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I will add these details after finishing the surf parts. I thought about func_dustmotes and added them into the 1 place already weeks ago. Ty for your feedback <3

Masog
09-18-2014, 12:46 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5bx9wewtj1idnh3/surf_slow_motion_BETA.zip
You can download the BETA version of the map above. I finally finished the map so you can try it, but there are still no lights, sound effects (don't think I'll add them anyway, dunno).
I changed a few ramps to make them more smooth, if you will report anything I can still fix things to improve the map overall, so report as much things as you can (and that you think are important) please. I am tired of this map so I am trying to finish it ASAP. And the most important.. I am not a pro, but I can pass T4 / T5 maps and I can't pass my own map (the map is possible to finish tho, I tested all parts of the map, I just can't finish it in a run). I don't think it's T6, but you can check it on your own. Oh, and the most important, tell me where you'd like to extend / cut slow-motion zones, or remove / add them.
Thanks for the support, and let me know if you were patient enough to finish my map.
(I pakratted all the textures I think, but let me know if there are some missing textures)

Skyline
09-19-2014, 04:11 AM
Uhm... I guess I can try to test it on my temporary extremely shitty laptop (even shittier than the one I had before) x)

Sacred
09-19-2014, 04:41 AM
If you are tried of the map you should take a break until you feel like mapping at it again and not rush it, cause that's what noob mappers do.

Masog
09-19-2014, 05:24 AM
@Sacred That's why I am still working on this map after ~2 years. Overall It's not like I don't want to do it, just even thinking about adding lights to a large map makes me tired.
All the stages were made carefully, I love designing maps, just as I said, lights, I hate them. Oh, and optimizing maps is boring too.
@edit: Feedback, please? :(

Blink
09-19-2014, 07:50 AM
take out slow motion zones and add lights

Masog
09-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Why mah slow motion zones? :(

Masog
09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Posting to refresh the thread and to let u know that surf_MOTION (now not SLOW_MOTION because people wanted it to be removed) is going to be finished this week, at least it should be. All I have to do is adding lights, I just added them to a few places, but it's so boring that I'll have to finish it partly to not fell asleep.
Screenshots on updated places with lights (may get changed):
http://imgur.com/a/KAd19 - album

Masog
09-27-2014, 08:33 AM
With hours of fixing errors which appeared just before the release, it is finally here!
surf_motion:
http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/182955

Juxtapo
09-27-2014, 06:22 PM
With hours of fixing errors which appeared just before the release, it is finally here!
surf_motion:
http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/182955

Just curious, have you ever beaten this all the way through without timescale or noclipping?

Krazy
09-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Is the start even possible?

Masog
09-28-2014, 02:52 AM
@Juxtapo: I haven't, I can beat it partly (green-blue > yellow-white > orange-red).
@Krazy: The start is possible, yes. If the start will be such a problem (which trully is from what I've seen) and it gets uploaded on a server, then Sacred can move the teleport_destination a little higher, it's not a problem I guess (or just I will edit the map and add _v2 or smthing). But I think if I can go through the start then everyone can too.
@EDIT: I made V2 version of the map due to the map's beginning feedback. You shouldn't have ANY problems with the beginning now.
Link: http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/182955 (the same as before)

Krazy
09-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I just beat it.

It's a very fun map, tier 5 imo. That first ramp of yellow is extremely difficult though

Masog
09-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Awesome! You are the first person who confirmed this map being passable in a run (actually stevo told me he finished it too, but I don't believe him @_@). Thanks for surfing my map, Krazy.
I want to ask one last question in this thread (I hope it's last) - is the map going to be uploaded to ksf? =]

remkoe
09-30-2014, 01:20 PM
i vote add because im a very nice guy

Masog
09-30-2014, 01:25 PM
(It's my birthday, vote yes pls)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mooster Cow
09-30-2014, 04:41 PM
(It's my birthday, vote yes pls)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That face is an automatic no. Plz stop that face.

Sacred
10-01-2014, 03:56 AM
Cause of the face: No.

Masog
10-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Rofl what's wrong with this face or with sunnies? It's just a different way of :) and B). w/e

Skyline
10-01-2014, 07:09 PM
rip