PDA

View Full Version : surf_lt_omnific

checkem
03-27-2012, 06:00 PM
https://vimeo.com/39292571

surf_lt_omnific is a new 18 stage surf map that features three stages of each tier type. Omnific also introduces a new way to surf stage maps in a linear fashion, allowing you to seamlessly surf the whole map without ever setting foot on the ground, that is, if you're good.

feel free to discuss the map in here and post any questions you may have or give feedback.

.:Deadeye:.
03-27-2012, 09:27 PM
actually looks pretty good

They call me queer
03-27-2012, 09:49 PM
We appreciate that deadeye. Looking forward to getting it on rotation. Still quite a ways to go.

First time seeing the trailer. That was hard for me to watch checkem! Tilting my head and whatnot.

Boboman
03-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Ever since I saw the Alpha versions of this map, makes the final_final_beta_betav2_semifinal_fix versions of all the other maps look like garbage.

All jokes aside.

Tioga060
03-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Hey sorry I keep giving you guys shit in the server, I have a bad superiority complex that gets the better of me often. Looks like decent surf, the theme is kinda bland imo but some people like the color based themes so don't let my opinion get in the way.

checkem
03-28-2012, 03:08 AM
We appreciate that deadeye. Looking forward to getting it on rotation. Still quite a ways to go.

First time seeing the trailer. That was hard for me to watch checkem! Tilting my head and whatnot.

yeah I know it is but you guys told me you didn't want me to give away too much of the map so I wasn't left with too much to work with.

everyone else, thanks for the positive feedback.

checkem
03-28-2012, 08:31 AM
added map description

Tioga060
03-28-2012, 11:07 AM
For the record staged linears have been done before (see surf eternal, abyssal, timewarp2)

Explizit
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey sorry I keep giving you guys shit in the server, I have a bad superiority complex that gets the better of me often. Looks like decent surf, the theme is kinda bland imo but some people like the color based themes so don't let my opinion get in the way.

I agree with the themes, it looks slightly like an MWAG textured map however like tioga said, don't let my opinion get in the way.

P.s I like the custom themes by yourself Check em.

Explizit

checkem
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
our way is completely original and totally unique. it differs from other staged linear maps in a way that allows you to actually surf into the next stage, and not simply teleport to it, or rely on a push.

also, we chose that theme because it's one of the only themes we could come up with that would allow us to make a map this large. we (nyro) had to be very creative in finding solutions to overcome mapping limitations so we could fit as much in as we could. just so you get the idea, one of the stages is about the same size or larger than rebel resistance, and we have 18 stages. granted the lower tier stages are significantly shorter, they're also pretty large for their respective tiers.

this map also doesn't have that surf bug where you get stuck when surfing low on a concaved surf. nyro found a way to fix that.

Tioga060
03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Timewarp2 and abbysal had transitions without boosts or teleports. Also, perfectly smooth outwards curved ramps has been done before (there's basically a tophattwaffle tutorial on it)

checkem
03-28-2012, 02:03 PM
haven't seen abyssal but I checked out timewarp2 on youtube, ours is still different. I don't want to explain exactly in case they don't want me to but trust me it's definitely unique.

I'm not sure of maps with surfs without surfbugs, I know it's been done before but it's rare so I thought I'd mention it. I wasn't aware of any tutorials about that, nyro did a lot of testing to get our surfs bug free, outward and inwards he did a lot of testing to get it right.

They call me queer
03-28-2012, 08:09 PM
nyro fixed the lame occurrence of you hitting the individual pieces of the surfs and stalling. However, 'sticky' surfs can not be fixed. That is simply a glitch with the engine that has been around since '99.

It's not necessarily a 'staged linear' map. The average stage length will be around 25-30 seconds, some much bigger than others, but the map can be played continuously without stopping. It should make for some interesting speedruns/wrcp's.

Nothing is completely unique, but the map will definitely stand out. We also like the minimalist theme of the colors. It's easy and pleasing.

checkem
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Nothing is completely unique, but the map will definitely stand out. We also like the minimalist theme of the colors. It's easy and pleasing.

the concept isn't new but I certainly haven't seen it implemented in the fashion in which it is in omnific

evolv
03-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Has potential, but still to hard to tell from the trailer. Hope it lives up to the hype!

They call me queer
03-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Has potential, but still to hard to tell from the trailer. Hope it lives up to the hype!
Input on the matter with some sense! It's amazing how many people have completely 180'd on the subject based on seeing basically nothing :P

DigitalTerrorist
03-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Input on the matter with some sense! It's amazing how many people have completely 180'd on the subject based on seeing basically nothing :P

Next time don't fucking spam about it.

They call me queer
03-30-2012, 02:33 AM
Hey hey! Settle down. The posts were deleted and that was that.

DeafGentleman
03-30-2012, 10:12 AM
I just checked out the trailer, it looks pretty awesome. TBH, can't wait for it!

Trance^
05-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Really enjoyed this map, tested it and loved it.. Though i had some massive mouse lags and low fps problems. Overall the map is very challenging and fun to surf.

dillinger
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
this is gonna be one of the coolest maps ever

cant wait to see it on ksf rotation